My interest in Permaculture was ignited when I moved with my young family to Tasmania in 2008 to take on the management of a 50 acre organic beef farm.
After doing a Permaculture Design Certificate (PDC) course in Penguin NW Tasmania in 2009 with Rick Coleman from the Southern Cross Permaculture Institute I have been continuously drawn toward people and organisations that strive for excellence in their permaculture learning and teaching journey.
At present I am working with best practice practitioners Nick Ritar and Kirsten Bradley on their very innovative organisation, Milkwood Permaculture.
I have a varied background in terms of education and work experience and skills.
- I lived for a year in Brazil in 1986 on a student exchange and speak fluent portuguese.
- I worked as a Professional Lifeguard for some years on the Gold Coast City Council’s Lifeguard Service
- I spent my 21st birthday on the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France.
- I studied Traditional Chinese Medicine in the early 90’s and immediately started working as a mobile physical and exercise therapist. I worked as a sensory experience designer for a Centre for the Intellectually Disabled using these skills.
- I ran a cooperatively based food box service in inner city Brisbane in 1991-93 called New Farm Organics.
- I completed a Science degree in 1995 at the University of Queensland with majors in pre-medicine studies in particular Biomechanics and Physiology.
- I lived in a community at Mt Nebo in the Hinterland of Brisbane in the mid 90’s for a year while I studied Yoga Teaching and practiced Biomechanics. During this time I was working as a tutor of Biomechanics at Queensland University.
- I have travelled extensively in Asia and South America.
- I have worked as a Yoga Teacher.
- I was a part owner in a Natural Foods Cafe at Palm Beach on the Gold Coast in the late 90’s.
- I owned and operated a traditional health food shop for 10 years.
- I launched and won national sustainability design awards for an entrepreneurial multimedia-based retail concept store called naturmama – for natural lifestyles.
- I have studied science, chinese medicine, multimedia arts, interactive marketing, conservation and land management and permaculture.
These days I am passionate about people, places and projects that strive for best practice in the creative world of permaculture – a design science based on ecology.
Personally I have a wonderful life partner of 16 years and three fabulous kids who together never cease to inspire me and provide me with an amazing font of support and encouragement.